Rukun Negara or the Pillars of the Country was declared on August 31, 1970 in conjunction with the 13th Independence Day celebration. It was introduced following the May 13, 1969 incident that weakened the unity among the races in Malaysia. The purpose behind the formulation of the Rukun Negara was to shape strong and lasting unity between the different races in Malaysia. The principles found in it are clearly the key ingredient for national and racial harmony and unity hence ensuring success and stability for the country.
Say your Rukun Negara in English.
OUR NATION MALAYSIA is dedicated to:
· Achieving a greater unity for her people;
· Maintaining a democratic way of life;
· Creating a just society in which the wealth of the nation shall be equitably distributed;
· Ensuring a liberal approach to her rich and diverse cultural traditions;
· Building a progressive society, oriented towards modern science and technology.
WE, Malaysians, as one, pledge to strive to attain these goals guided by the following principles:-
- Belief in God
- Loyalty to King and Country
- Supremacy of the Constitution
- The Rule of Law
- Good Behaviour and Morality
Courtesy from Department of Information, Malaysia